Traditional breast ironing is ‘loving’ child abuse.
A Pubescent Horror
Return home to experience abuse or remain in the streets and become the subject of violent sexual assault? This is the tortuous dilemma of many pubescent girls in parts of the West African nations of Guinea-Bissau, Chad, Togo, and Beni. Most prevalently, Cameroon estimates 24 percent of girls experience breast ironing.
Immigration brings victims to new continents. The UN estimates, up to 3.8 million girls worldwide are affected, including an estimated 1000 in Britain. The similarly horrific practice of female genital mutilation generally occurs once, perhaps followed later by a ceremonious slitting to conceive and perhaps another to give birth.
Breast ironing (or flattening), in contrast, is repeated over and over again—sometimes daily. Traditional familial theory is that the procedure makes the girls less attractive to perverted males. In practice, some girls continue to be sexually active and others become victims of sexual violence.
Effects of Breast Ironing
Breast ironing is sometimes done by pounding the chest of a young woman with spatulas, hammers, or heated stones. It has reportedly led to cysts, lesions, an inability to produce breast milk, and perhaps to the development of cancer in some young women.
Indicators that a girl has undergone breast ironing:
- Unusual behavior after an absence from school or college including depression, anxiety, aggression, withdrawn etc.
- Reluctance in undergoing normal medical examinations.
- Some girls may ask for help, but may not be explicit about the problem due to embarrassment or fear.
- Apprehension of changing for physical activities due to scars showing or bandages being visible.
Plastic Dream Project
“Plastic Dream” is a visual essay by French photographer Gildas Paré that explores the Cameroonian cultural practice of breast ironing—crushing the mammary glands of young girls whose puberty development is deemed too early. This body control is performed by their mothers, grandmothers, aunts or healers, using objects hijacked from the kitchen—or an artisanal elastic band.
Tanner 5-Stage Female Breast Development (Thelarche)
|Stage 1||(Preadolescent) only nipple tip is raised; glandular tissue absent: areola follows the skin contours of the chest (typically age 10 and younger)|
|Stage 2||Buds, raised breast and nipple, enlarged areola (age 10–11.5)|
|Stage 3||Breasts slightly larger with developing glandular breast tissue extending beyond areola borders, which continues widening but remains in contour with surrounding breast (age 11.5–13)|
|Stage 4||Areolae and nipples form secondary mounds above rest of the breasts (age 13–15)|
|Stage 5||Mature adult breasts become rounded with only nipples raised (age 15+)|
|Individual development stages vary. Precocious puberty may occur before age 9. Therefore, do not use these guidelines for determining age.|
“My approach to meeting the girls came true in delicacy and dignity. Because the experience of these girls is a great pain,” says Gildas. Find more stories and examples of Gildas’ work on his website. He is looking for places to exhibit his portraits and wants to go back to Cameroon to shoot more photographs.
To support the writing of useful articles about oncology, ClinicalPosters sells human anatomy posters, scientific posters and other products online. You may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou can donateYou may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou may remit a small donationAlso shop for ClinicalPins that include more than lapel pins or leave an encouraging comment to keep the work going. Stay safe and A Bit More Healthy.
- What is breast ironing and how common is it in Britain? theweek.co.uk Retrieved 1 Oct 2019
- Female genital mutilation. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation Retrieved 1 Oct 2019
- Breast Ironing. stopvaw.org/harmful_practices_breast_ironing Retrieved 1 Oct 2019
- Breast ironing: From Britain to Cameroon young girls are mutilated to hide puberty. ibtimes.co.uk/breast-ironing-britain-cameroon-young-girls-are-mutilated-hide-puberty-1552061 Retrieved 1 Oct 2019
- Amahazion F. Breast ironing: A brief overview of an underreported harmful practice. J Glob Health. 2021;11:03055. Published 2021 Mar 27. doi:10.7189/jogh.11.03055
- The Dangers of Breast Ironing. nairaland.com/3396424/dangers-breast-ironing Retrieved 1 Oct 2019
- The Victims of Cameroon's Horrific Breast Ironing Tradition. vice.com/en/article/4wbqdj/cameroon-tradition-flattening-chests-876 Retrieved 1 Oct 2019
- Plastic Dream. gildaspare.com Retrieved 1 Oct 2019