More money is spent on cancer research than any other disease.
With 18.1 million new cases per year, more money is spent on cancer research than any other disease. Imagine trading your cancer “hope” ribbons for cancer “survivor” pins. What if you could run a 5K marathon, not to raise money for research but because you are healthy enough to participate? When facing a course of vigorous treatment, the last thing you need is false hope—a finish line that appears to keep moving further away.
A group of Israeli doctors is making assertions too bold to ignore. Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd (AEBi) promises a brief, cheap and effective remedy for cancer within a year. Not just breast cancer—all cancer. While nearly everyone hopes the news is true, you can understand skepticism. (AEBi missed its self-imposed deadline but optimism continues. The company reports that it is endeavoring to persuade the FDA into approving a set of 100 targeting peptides to different cancer receptors in order to prevent delays from awaiting separate approval for every new multi-target toxin called MuTaTo. —ed.) Researchers say the MuTaTo drug is essentially “on the scale of a cancer antibiotic—a disruption technology of the highest order.”
The chairman of the board of AEBi is Dan Aridor. He earned an MBA degree in finance. The company was incubated in ITEK and birthed in the year 2000 as a development-stage biopharmaceutical company engaged in discovery of therapeutic peptides.
AEBi CEO Dr. Ilan Morad is currently overseeing MuTaTo advancement. Morad said. “By using at least three targeting peptides on the same structure with a strong toxin, we made sure that the treatment will not be affected by mutations.”
According to Morad, the MuTaTo cancer treatment will eventually be tailored to each patient after obtaining a small biopsy. “The individual would then be administered exactly the molecule cocktail needed to cure his disease.” Without the debilitating side effects of chemo therapy, treatment should be complete within a few weeks. Is this the most wonderful or delusional news in cancer research?
Amid optimistic claims, three factors dilute enthusiasm:
- Limited information has been published by researchers.
- The technology is still under development.
- Human trials have yet to begin.
- Clinical trials last several years as they monitor adverse side effects and longevity.
”We hope that this approach…bears fruit and is successful. At the same time, we must always offer a note of caution that the process to get this treatment from mouse to man is not always a simple and uncomplicated journey,” says Len Lichtenfeld, MD, ACS chief medical officer for the American Cancer Society.
Promising Results From Biologic Therapy
In an unrelated King’s College London lab study, scientists identified a molecule found naturally in the immune system that could kill cancer cells.
Exposing colorectal tumours to the β-galactoside-binding protein (βGBP) in a petri dish triggered the ‘suicide’ of malignant cells within 48 hours.
βGBP is a form of immunotherapy, also called biologic therapy. This type of cancer treatment boosts the body’s natural defences to fight cancer. Authors hope future clinical trials will soon study βGBP further.
The company AEBi is optimistically holding out a cure for all cancer. In the interim, ribbons of all colors abound while traditional cancer prevention and treatment plans apply. This can include maintaining a healthy lifestyle, avoiding exposure to known cancer-causing substances, and taking medicines or vaccines that can prevent cancer from developing. With all the oncology advancements and research taking place worldwide, cancer remission is more common than ever before with early detection.
To support the writing of useful articles about oncology, ClinicalPosters sells human anatomy posters, scientific posters and other products online. You may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou can donateYou may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou may remit a small donationAlso shop for ClinicalPins that include more than lapel pins or leave an encouraging comment to keep the work going. Stay safe and A Bit More Healthy.
- Israeli Scientists Claim They're On The Path To A Cure For Cancer. forbes.com/sites/robinseatonjefferson/2019/01/29/israeli-scientists-say-they-will-have-a-complete-cure-for-cancer-within-a-year/ Retrieved 29 Jan 2019
- Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd. aebi-bio.com/#technology Retrieved 26 Sep 2019
- A Cure For Cancer? Not So Fast. blogs.cancer.org/drlen/2019/01/29/a-cure-for-cancer-not-so-fast/ Retrieved 26 Sep 2019
- Cancer Causes and Prevention. cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention Retrieved 26 Sep 2019
- Hope of a new cancer treatment as scientists discover molecule found naturally in the immune system can trigger the 'suicide' of tumours. dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7511755/amp/Molecule-immune-triggers-cancer-suicide-lab.html Retrieved 26 Sep 2019
- Understanding Immunotherapy. cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/how-cancer-treated/immunotherapy-and-vaccines/understanding-immunotherapy Retrieved 26 Sep 2019
- Remember Last January’s Promise Of A Cure For Cancer In A Year? Heard Anything Lately? blogs.cancer.org/drlen/2020/01/10/remember-last-januarys-promise-of-a-cure-for-cancer-in-a-year-heard-anything-lately/ Retrieved 26 Sep 2019