There are two aspects of fatigue relating to the coronavirus. Some recovering COVID-19 patients experience myalgic encephalomyelitis. This debilitating illness is also called chronic fatigue syndrome or ME/
Sleep is not rejuvenating, you have cognitive dysfunction and little strength for physical tasks. Researchers are investigating the correlation between COVID-19 and ME/CFS to validate coronavirus fatigue. [4,5]
Another condition can affect you even if you are not exposed to COVID-19. It is the mental fatigue of reading about, worrying about, and protecting yourself from coronavirus—pandemic fatigue.  Pandemic news includes overstimulating reports on the following topics:
- Face mask wearing
- Shelter in place
- Business closures
- Debilitating symptoms
- Sky-rocketing statistics
The hallmark sign of pandemic fatigue is a sense of inner weariness.  You may also feel:
It is like someone locking the door behind you and a group of strangers after entering a theater to watch a horror movie. This horror video lasts not 90 minutes but continues with no end in sight. After six months, some peculiar behaviors and personality changes are evident.
Once meek and demure looking people are hoarding supplies, commandeering the snack stand and becoming vocal about personal rights. The assertive ones form groups to breech the front door of the building, denying the fact that a worse fate is outside. [6–8]
To cope with pandemic fatigue, you may need to take care of your body with proper nutrition and hygiene. Limit your news intake, and lower stress through relaxation techniques and exercise. [6,8–10] Even if you live alone, you can call friends on the phone or join online support groups. [10,11]
Are you snapping at others with little provocation? Combat fear, anxiety, hopelessness, and loneliness by reaching out to others. Help the ones you love or let them help you.
Mental Health Crisis
In addition to causing mental health problems, the pandemic is exacerbating existing conditions. There is a backlog of appointments that telemedicine is not resolving. New patients and people who regularly see a therapist can wait eight weeks or longer. Various outreach programs and out-of-network health services attempt to fill the gaps. [11,12]
Coronavirus pandemic information represents a historic snapshot of fluid events. To support the writing of useful articles about COVID-19, ClinicalPosters sells human anatomy posters, scientific posters and other products online. You may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou can donateYou may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou may remit a small donationAlso shop for ClinicalPins that include more than lapel pins or leave an encouraging comment to keep the work going. Stay safe and A Bit More Healthy.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome may hold keys to understanding post-Covid syndrome. statnews.com/2020/07/21/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-keys-understanding-post-covid-syndrome/ Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- Chronic Fatigue May Be Long-Term Effect of COVID. webmd.com/lung/news/20200809/chronic-fatigue-may-be-long-term-effect-of-covid Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- Fauci Warns About ‘Post-Viral’ Syndrome After COVID–19. healthline.com/health-news/fauci-warns-about-post-viral-syndrome-after-covid-19 Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- Into the looking glass: Post-viral syndrome post COVID–19. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7320866/ Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- My Covid-19 symptoms have lasted more than 100 days, and I’m not alone. Will they ever end? statnews.com/2020/07/08/my-covid-19-symptoms-lasted-100-plus-days/ Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- 7 Steps to Reduce Pandemic Fatigue. uclahealth.org/2020/07/07/7-steps-to-reduce-pandemic-fatigue/ Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- Fareed: We may have Covid–19 fatigue, but the virus does not. cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/10/04/fareeds-take-trump-coronavirus-diagnosis-gps-vpx.cnn Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- Pandemic denial: Why some people can't accept Covid-19's realities. cnn.com/2020/08/16/health/pandemic-covid-19-denial-mental-health-wellness/index.html Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- ‘Pandemic Fatigue’ Marks a Mental Health Crisis. futurity.org/pandemic-fatigue-mental-health-covid-19-2405742/ Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- How to Beat Pandemic Fatigue. jw.org/en/bible-teachings/peace-happiness/physical-mental-health/pandemic-fatigue/ Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- American Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Society. ammes.org/find-a-support-group/ Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
- Pandemic demand for mental health care is overwhelming providers. cnn.cm/2020/12/18/health/mental-health-care-demand-wellness/index.html Retrieved 4 Feb 2021
Access more article features and references.