We Normally Eat For Energy
Food should activate cells to give you vitality. Do you fall asleep shortly after eating? Issues may include decreasing oxygen to the brain, overeating, or a chemical within your foods. Tryptophan is used by the body to create serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that helps regulate sleep. It is possible that increased production of serotonin is responsible for post-meal fatigue.
According to recent studies, Dr. Tomonori Kishino, a professor of health science at Japan’s Kyorin University suggests that as blood is pumped into the gut to fuel digestion, a corresponding drop in blood flow to the brain can trigger feelings of sleepiness. A separate 2018 study found that a high-fat, high-carbohydrate meal led to somnolence.
The National Academy of Sciences recommends a tryptophan daily dietary allowance (RDA) of 5 mg per 1 kg of adult body weight. An adult weighing 150 pounds (68 kg) should consume about 340 mg of tryptophan per day. A 200-pound (91 kg) adult aims for 455 mg. A 250-pound (113 kg) adult aims for 570 mg. The tryptophan RDA for pregnant women is 7 mg per kg of body weight.
per 100 grams (g) of food
|Spirulina (dried)||930 mg|
|Cheddar cheese||550 mg|
|Parmesan cheese (hard)||480 mg|
|Pork tenderloin (broiled)||390 mg|
|Turkey (roasted whole with skin)||290 mg|
|Tofu (fried)||270 mg|
|Turkey breast (low-salt luncheon meat)||190 mg|
|Eggs (hard-boiled)||150 mg|
|Spinach (raw)||40 mg|
|Potato (baked)||30 mg|
Dr. Artour Rakhimov explains that overeating produces a biochemical shock on the whole organism due to factors related to heavy breathing. Falling asleep and tiredness after eating (usually in 20–60 minutes afterwards) are frequent signs of biochemical shock. The solution he recommends is to chew food very well. Becoming sleepy 1.5–2.5 hours after eating, when food has left the stomach, may suggest a Candida yeast overgrowth in the small intestines.
Sometimes you begin eating when you are tired—perhaps following a restless night’s sleep or after working a long shift. The combination of tired and hungry (what I call “tungry”) can make your head nod and eyelids droop after a few bites of food.
Basic remedies include maintaining regular rest periods, consuming food slowly, not overeating (beyond satiation limit), decreasing alcohol consumption, maintaining a consistent fitness routine early in the day, and not exceeding daily recommendation of tryptophan. If you still experience issues with fatigue, schedule an appointment with a nutritionist (registered dietitian).
To support the writing of useful articles about gastroenterology, ClinicalPosters sells human anatomy posters, scientific posters and other products online. You may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou can donateYou may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou may remit a small donationAlso shop for ClinicalPins that include more than lapel pins or leave an encouraging comment to keep the work going. Stay safe and A Bit More Healthy.
- Why Do You Get Sleepy After Eating? These Are the Top Theories. time.com/5515553/sleepy-after-eating/ Retrieved 27 Apr 2020
- Influence of breakfast on hemodynamics after lunch – a sonographic evaluation of mesenteric and cervical blood flows. onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/cpf.12556 Retrieved 27 Apr 2020
- Why Do I Feel Tired After Eating? healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/why-do-i-feel-tired-after-eating Retrieved 27 Apr 2020
- 10 Proven Benefits of Spirulina. healthline.com/nutrition/10-proven-benefits-of-spirulina Retrieved 27 Apr 2020
- Dairy Foods Low in Lactose. healthline.com/nutrition/dairy-foods-low-in-lactose Retrieved 27 Apr 2020
- National Academy of Sciences. nap.edu/read/11537/chapter/53#463 Retrieved 27 Apr 2020
- Top 10 Foods Highest in Tryptophan. myfooddata.com/articles/high-tryptophan-foods.php Retrieved 27 Apr 2020
- Sleepy After Eating, Falling Asleep and Tired After Meals: Low Body O2. normalbreathing.com/sleepy-after-eating.php Retrieved 27 Apr 2020
Access more article features, photos, and references.