The prospect of breaking free from an ailment that hinders breathing excites asthma sufferers.
Can’t Catch A Breath
Your own lungs are suffocating you! During a bronchial asthma attack, oxygen-carrying tubes with your lungs, called bronchi, swell and possibly fill with thick mucus. With allergic asthma, muscles around your lungs constrict as an immune response, making it difficult for them to expand.
It does not matter whether the origin is stress, dust mites, pollen, running, playing on the lawn, running, catching a common cold, or hay fever. Airways must open. Mucus viscosity needs to thin and expel in order to resume breathing. Over 4,000 preventable asthma deaths occur each year in the United States. Can you grow out of asthma?
Gone But Not Forgotten
A person can develop asthma symptoms at any time in life. The prospect of breaking free from an ailment that hinders breathing excites asthma sufferers.
In the 1960s and 70s, pneumatic Intermittent Positive Pressure Breathing (IPPB) machines in hospitals to treat asthma, among other respiratory ailments. The Bird Mark 7 would simultaneously expand bronchioles and nebulize medication like Vaponephrine, Mucomyst, Alevaire, Tergemist, Alupent, or Albuterol. Today pulmonology doctors prescribe portable nebulizers that can be kept in a purse or pocket for personal use.
Though not popular, it is possible for an individual to grow out of childhood asthma. I know, because it happened to me—mostly. Like a recovering alcoholic or drug abuser, we are humbled by the reminder of our past.
People who use an asthma inhaler should avoid using any product that contains aminophylline, even a cream that contains it, because it can cause breathing problems. —aad.org
For some people, adult eczema or rashes and other anomalies have asthma origins. Cigarette smoke, strong perfume and cheap cologne take my breath away. Prolonged secondhand smoke inhalation can trigger late-night wheezing.
I manifest rashes and vertiginous reactions to airborne mold spores, mildew and ragweed. As long as I stay clear of these things, there is no need for an inhaler. My classic bronchial asthma migrated to milder allergic asthma.
Not All Children Outgrow Asthma
Though an older child or adult may be asymptomatic, a medical procedure not routinely done—lung biopsy by a pulmonology surgeon—is the only way to know for sure if asthma is gone or in remission. “Children with more-severe asthma are less likely to outgrow it,” says James TC Li, M.D., Ph.D.
There are other factors to consider. Sometimes, what appears to be asthma is actually bronchitis, recurrent pneumonia, or bronchiolitis. These and other asthma-like conditions can improve as children get older. My personal experiences contradict most working theories since severe monthly attacks were triggered by pretty much everything.
Medical Theories On Asthma Remission
- Airways enlarge with age.
- Wheezing triggered by colds improve as children mature.
- Attacks prompted by respiratory infection subside.
- Children with eczema have lasting asthma symptoms.
- Correlation with severity of asthma past age 5 likelihood of persistent asthma.
What parent wants to see their child suffer? A changing household environment may factor into remission. Dust mites, mold spores or other triggers within carpeting can plague children for years. Removing or replacing decades-old carpet can bring relief. Moving out of the family home—perhaps to a new climate—can also be a catalyst to improvement.
With proper care, those with childhood asthma can be A Bit More Healthy. Symptoms may improve or vanish with age. Obesity and introduction of prior allergies may end childhood asthma remission. People who are allergic to cats might have an increased risk for developing adult-onset asthma.
Delays in asthma diagnosis and treatment can permanently impair lung function. It is unlikely that adult-onset asthma will subside but with proper care, you can manage it.
To support the writing of useful articles about immunology, ClinicalPosters sells human anatomy posters, scientific posters and other products online. You may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou can donateYou may sponsor specific articles, remit a small donation,Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wallYou may remit a small donationAlso shop for ClinicalPins that include more than lapel pins or leave an encouraging comment to keep the work going. Stay safe and A Bit More Healthy.
- What Is Allergic Asthma? webmd.com/asthma/allergies-asthma-18/adult/allergic-asthma-what-is-it Retrieved 19 Dec 2019
- Asthma statistics. asthmamd.org/asthma-statistics/ Retrieved 19 Dec 2019
- Adult Onset Asthma. asthmaandallergies.org/asthma-allergies/adult-onset-asthma/ Retrieved 19 Dec 2019
- 1955-1985: The IPPB Revolution. asthmahistory.blogspot.com/2017/06/1955-1985-ippb-revolution.html Retrieved 19 Dec 2019
- Do some children outgrow asthma? mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/childhood-asthma/expert-answers/outgrow-asthma/faq-20058116 Retrieved 19 Dec 2019
- Outgrowing Asthma: Is Remission Possible? webmd.com/asthma/features/outgrowing-asthma-is-remission-possible#1 Retrieved 19 Dec 2019
- Why Asthma Can Hit You Harder as an Adult. clevelandclinic.org/why-does-asthma-hit-you-harder-as-an-adult/ Retrieved 19 Dec 2019
Access more article features, photos, and references.