You might feel you are working at a dead-end job but this impressive pair is content with its position and function in life.
Excepting a round house kick to the head, our feet are pretty much well grounded beneath us. A quarter of the bones in the human body are in the feet, comprising more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments.
Chiropody is another name for podiatry, a branch of medicine devoted to the study, diagnosis, medical and surgical treatment of disorders of the foot, ankle and lower extremity. Here are some interesting foot facts:
- 75 percent of people have foot problems
- 5 percent of Americans have corns and callouses
- 5 percent of Americans have fungal infections of the feet and ingrown toenails
- Standing still is more tiring than walking because fewer muscles are used for standing still, whereas walking distributes weight and effort over more muscles
Order the Foot and Ankle anatomy poster to hang more details about this subject on your exam room or classroom wall.
- Foot & Ankle Anatomy. healthcommunities.com/foot-anatomy/foot-anatomy-overview.shtml Retrieved 23 Mar 2018
- What is a Podiatrist? American Podriatric Medical Association apma.org/Patients/content.cfm?ItemNumber=992 Retrieved 23 Mar 2018
- 10 Facts About Your Feet. kidsdiscover.com/quick-reads/10-facts-feet/ Retrieved 23 Mar 2018
Access full article and references.
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2021