Ditch the fast-food drive-thru window and prepare any of ten or more delicious low-oxalate lunches at home.
Publish 13 September 2022
Answer the Lunch Bell
By midday, your stomach is gnawing. Complete preliminary preparation for either of these tasty low-oxalate recipes an evening in advance. Add dressings to salads just before serving. Pay attention to nutritional information beyond oxalates if you have other dietary restrictions.
Air fryers concentrate heat with assistance of a fan within a small area. Convert recipes from oven to air fryer by reducing suggested temperature by 25°F (5°C). Then cut the cook time by about 20%. Check food at both a half and quarter way through to prevent overcooking. (Reduce temperature by 40°F (5°C) in full-size convection oven.)
Low-oxalate meals are not specifically designed for people with chronic kidney disease.
Alfredo Chickpea Pasta
|Cook time: 30 min||Prep time: 10 min||Lunch||Servings: 2|
- ¼ chopped onion
- ½ clove of garlic
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 1 cup of cauliflower florets
- 1 cup of chopped broccoli
- ½ box of chickpea pasta
- Italian parsley for garnish
- ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets to the pot and boil until soft.
2. Remove the cauliflower from the pot. Put pasta in boiling water and boil as instructed.
3. For sauce, add milk with cauliflower into a blender and puree until it is smooth.
4. In a skillet, heat the butter and garlic on medium-low heat. When butter is melted, add the puree to the pan and heat up for a couple of minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and add the parmesan into the skillet. Add pasta and put in the skillet.
6. Include a third cup of water and cook until all sauce is creamy and evenly distributed on pasta.
7. Add sautéed onion, boiled broccoli on top and parsley or basil for garnishing.
Asian Edamame Salad
|Cook time: 0 min||Prep time: 15 min||Lunch||Servings: 2|
IngredientsFor the Salad:
- 6 oz shelled edamame
- ½ cup diced cucumbers
- ½ diced red bell pepper
- 1 chopped green onion
- ⅛ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp Bragg Amino Acid
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp sriracha
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
1. In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients.
2. Within a small bowl or mason jar whisk or shake all of the vinaigrette ingredients together until combined.
3. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss everything together. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Baked Veggie Taquitos
|Cook time: 30 min||Prep time: 20 min||Lunch||Servings: 2|
- ¼ can black refried beans
- ½ tsp taco seasoning
- 2 small flour tortillas
- 1 Tbsp guacamole (½ mashed avocado, 1 minced slice jalapeño, garlic powder, salt, squeeze of lime)
- ½ cups shredded cheese
- sour cream
Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C) or 375°F (200°C) in air fryer. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl, mix refried beans with taco seasoning until combined.
Lay one tortilla on a flat surface. Down the middle of the tortilla, spread 1–2 tablespoons of beans. On top, add about one tablespoon Guacamole. Sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of cheese.
Roll up tightly and place on baking sheet seam side down. Continue this process until all tortillas have been filled and rolled. Spray tops with nonstick baking spray and bake for 20–25 minutes (or 15 minutes in air fryer), until golden brown. Serve with sour cream for dipping.
Cauliflower Tempeh Masala Tacos
|Cook time: 20 min||Prep time: 10 min||Lunch||Servings: 2|
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 2 oz tempeh
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ medium cauliflower florets
- ¼ large roasted red pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ lime juice
- 1 Tbsp cilantro (for garnish)
- 4 wholegrain tortillas
- 1 cup lettuce
- ½ small onion
- cilantro (coriander) chutney
1. Crush the garlic cloves, and roast on a hot skillet. Place the garlic in a blender along with the roasted red pepper or chili peppers and half cup of stock. Blend and reserve.
2. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of stock in a wok. Add the turmeric and then the cauliflower. Season with some salt and pepper, cover, and cook for 10–12 minutes. Add the tempeh cubes and stir to mix.
3. Add the red-pepper-garlic paste to the wok and stir-fry another 5–8 minutes over high heat Squeeze in the lime juice and stir in coriander, if using. Turn off the heat.
4. To serve, place some greens in each taco shell. Add the cauliflower tempeh masala, layer on some onions, and drizzle cilantro chutney.
Crispy Baked Falafel
|Cook time: 30 min||Prep time: 10 min||Dinner||Servings: 2|
- ½ can chickpeas
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- pinch of cayenne
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp oat flour
- olive oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) or 350°F (185°C) in air fryer. Spray a baking sheet with oil.
2. Add chickpeas, onion, garlic, oil, parsley, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne into a food processor and pulse until just combined. You don’t want to over-process the mixture or you’ll end up with hummus. Plus, having a few chunks of chickpeas gives the falafel a nice texture. Stir in baking soda and oat flour. At this point your mixture should be holding together quite well.
3. Scoop spoonful of mixture out and form into small patties; you should get about 15. Place on prepped baking sheet.
4. Bake 10–12 minutes, flip patties and bake for another 10–12 minutes (or 8 minutes each side in air fryer), until falafels are golden and cooked through.
Low-Oxalate Grilled Cheese
|Cook time: 10 min||Prep time: 20 min||Lunch||Servings: 1|
- 2 oz of shredded Swiss cheese
- 16 oz cauliflower rice
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 tsp of fresh or dried rosemary
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- White pepper to taste
- 1 egg
1. Grind cauliflower rice in a food processor until it looks like sand and can be formed into patties.
2. Add to the cauliflower, lightly beaten egg, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, rosemary, garlic powder, and pepper into a bowl and make dough.
3. Heat a pan over medium heat and oil it up. Form cauliflower dough into a round patty (2 patties for 1 sandwich). Gently squeeze out any extra fluid from each patty. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Take spatula and gently flatten each patty and shape into squares that resemble bread. After the 5 minutes are up, gently turn the patty over.
5. Take half of the cheese and put it on top of one of the patty pieces. Flip the other patty on top of the cheese one. Set the timer for 3 more minutes and grill your sandwich.
Quinoa With Fresh Mozzarella
|Cook time: 0 min||Prep time: 20 min||Lunch||Servings: 1|
IngredientsFor the Dressing
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 small diced cucumber
- ¾ cup fresh mozzarella
- ⅛ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
1. Dice all of the vegetables and mix them together.
2. Combine the vegetables, quinoa, and add half of the dressing. Add the cheese and taste. Add more dressing, until you get the flavor you like.
Strawberry Summer Salad
|Cook time: 15 min||Prep time: 10 min||Lunch||Servings: 2|
- 4 oz pan-cooked chicken breast
- ¼ sliced cucumbers
- ¼ cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 chopped mint leaves
- 2 cup lettuce
- ¼ Tbsp sugar-free (or natural grade-B) maple syrup
- ⅛ cup chopped pecans (toasted)
1. Warm skillet on medium heat and spray with olive oil.
2. When the pan is hot enough, put chicken in for one minute to sizzle.
3. After 1 minute, turn heat to low and flip chicken to the other side, cover. Set timer for 15 minutes.
4. Put two cups of chopped lettuce in a bow. Add cucumber, strawberries, and mint, and set aside.
5. In an oven, toast the pecans for a few minutes.
6. For dressing, put one tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl, cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Whisk in balsamic and maple syrup.
7. Dice the chicken and toss with all dry ingredients before drizzling with dressing just enough to coat all pieces.
Tomato Mozzarella Salad
|Cook time: 0 min||Prep time: 20 min||Lunch||Servings: 2|
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- ⅔ cup cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- ⅔ cup frozen corn thawed
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella sliced
1. Make dressing. Blend cilantro, garlic, lime juice and honey in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add olive oil and blend just until combined. Season with pinch of salt. This will make about 1/3 cup dressing, enough for 2 salads.
2. To build salad, plate 3 cups lettuce, 1/3 cup tomato, 1/3 cup corn, 1/4 avocado, 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds and 2 oz fresh mozzarella. Drizzle with 2 and a half tablespoons dressing. Enjoy!
|Cook time: 20 min||Prep time: 20 min||Lunch||Servings: 2|
IngredientsFor Dipping Sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or Bragg Amino Acids
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup seltzer water
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 small sweet potato, sliced into ¼-inch-thick slabs
- 4 small broccoli florets
- 5 asparagus spears or 1 carrot quartered lengthwise and cut to about 1½ inch lengths
- ½ large onion ring
1. Make the Soy Sesame Dipping Sauce by stirring all ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. For Batter, whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda together in a medium bowl Whisk in seltzer water until the ingredients are completely blended.
3. To fry the Vegetables, pour about ¼ inch of oil into a large skillet and place it over medium heat.
4. When the oil is ready, dip one of veggies into the batter, coating all sides. Shake off any excess batter, then transfer the veggie to the hot oil.
5. Fry the vegetables for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until crispy. Remove and place on dish with paper towel to a sporre excess oil.
6. Serve the tempura vegetables immediately, with the dipping sauce on the side.
To support the writing of useful articles about nutrition, ClinicalPosters sells human anatomy charts, scientific posters, and other products online. You may sponsor specific articles or remit a small donation.
ClinicalPosters sells human anatomy charts, scientific posters, and other products online to offset expense of the writing useful articles about nutrition. Slide extra posters into DeuPair Frames without removing from the wall.
ClinicalPosters sells human anatomy charts, scientific posters, and other products online. You may remit a small donation.
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2023