Men over the age of 50 are still active
and in their prime.
By Noella Briggins *
HEALTH To maintain and prevent the onset of illness and ailments, men should consider these tips once they reach this age:
- Go for a physical exam annually. As your body ages, some physical symptoms are also seen. You can discuss these with your doctor. Seek advice on the treatment of minor ailments and steps on the prevention of other diseases such cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. Included in the physical examination are routine blood tests, urine and stool tests, and physical tests like treadmill, ECG, and lung x-rays.
- Have your blood examined. For blood tests, you should test for cholesterol levels. This can help you determine if you are eating right and if you have healthy habits. This can help you prevent the onset of hypertension or heart disease. Smokers and diabetics usually have high cholesterol levels.
- Go for rectal and colon exam. Undergoing stool testing, colon testing, and rectal exam annually can be a great help in detecting the growth of polyps or colorectal cancer.
- Regularly visit your dentist. These regular oral examinations can help in the early detection of tooth decay, disease of the gums, or oral cancer. Those with unhealthy habits like smoking, chewing of tobacco, and poor oral hygiene run the risk of many dental problems. Some studies suggest that heart attack and stroke are closely associated with gum disease, so this is a serious matter.
- Have your eyes examined. The annual examination of your eyes is very important as this can detect problems with your vision such as glaucoma or the early onset of cataracts.
- Have your annual prostate examination. Prostate exam is a very important test for men of age 40 and above. This can help in detecting prostate cancer early, which can give you a high percentage of survival.
- Visit a psychotherapist. Not for anything else, men should visit a doctor to screen for depression. Your mental health is as important as your physical health. Talking to a doctor can help you with underlying depression or anxiety.
As with everything else, eating right along with having regular exercises are the most important ways to prevent diseases. Most importantly, these physical examinations and healthy practices can go a long way in early detection and in the higher survival rate against diseases.